Thursday, February 19, 2009

Picture Protection

I'm ready for spring. I'm ready for green. I'm ready for my yard to look better.

In past years I have taken hundreds of photos in my garden (my neighbors affectionately call it the neighborhood Botanical Garden). I took them not for their beauty but for documentation of the growing garden and to make a scrap book of the different varieties and species I have.

Sadly, this project came to a quick end. My computer died.

How are they connected??? I had ALL my pictures on my computer. As of now, they are still irretrievable. Years of work and documentation down the drain. All because I hadn't put the pictures on disks or an external hard drive.

I also lost first baby pictures, 2 separate graduations, birthdays and holidays. Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

I bought an external hard drive. And I use it regularly to back things up. It's my most favorite thing I have ever bought (well, aside from my beloved vaccuum - but that's a whole 'nother post).

So why am I posting this story?? Just to caution you all who don't have those precious photos anywhere but on your computer. It can happen. You can't go back in time and make the baby be born again. You can't stage a graduation ceremony. Etc. Etc.

External hard drives have really come down in price. You can also find places online for storage, but I don't know how private they are. Although Shutterfly is private and I like the enhancements they have.

Don't wait. Do something about it now. :)

No comments: