Friday, February 27, 2009

Why Photography is the BEST Hobby


This fall/winter my mom started a new hobby. She is now spinning her own yarn. No, not telling long stories. Really spinning yarn, as in "Baaaahhhh." She loves it. And from my meager opinion (and from knowing how she is) she is good at it.


My family has always been crafty. I say that but then I think about my poor sister (lol :). Okay, so my mom, dad, and I have always been crafty. My grandma was crafty. My great grandma was crafty. Between us, there are probably but a handful of crafts we have never at least tried.


So I'm chatting with mom on my way home tonight. She's talking about the house and all this craft stuff she needs that is strewn all over. My comment? "That's one reason why I LOVE my new hobby!" (photography)


With digital cameras, it has to be one of the neatest, least messy hobbies that exists. I do everything with a little bitty camera, a little bitty disk, and a laptop.


I can do my hobby just about anywhere (and people might even think I am working!! :)


I can have someone over at a moments notice and not have to worry about having stuff drawn out all over the house.


There is minimal physical storage (laptop and camera). Not like the Rubbermaid tubs of material for quilting, the giant file cabinets for counted cross stitch patterns, the large tubs full of paint, or the endless tackle boxes filled with beads.


I can put 150 GB into the palm of my hand for storing my hobby.


And boy, once you get past the initial purchases, it is pretty dog gone cheap.


This has to be one of the best all time hobbies ever.

No comments: